Monday, January 27, 2020

Having Words

They see me hanging out,
with all the pretty boys.
They may even see me with their fella,
and call me a ho,
but no.
I could’ve spent the morning 
with a lover,
maybe even your lover,
but it’s sexier to stay in bed with words. 


They find out I write the words,
the words that catch all the pretty girls,
and they call me a lesbian,
but no.
They see me sneakin around on the fringes
and call me a dealer,
and I am.
I deal in words.
Words are smokin hot!
They attract.
Listen to the words from that one! 
Whew! 
He got a turn of phrase.
Is it just us? 
Or you ampersand I? 
Without the words,
you’re at a loss. 
You gotta find the words,
with the roots,
that tunnel down deep
into the soul,
words to make the heart respond, 
“Yes, those words,
from that guy,
in this space and time,
traveled all this way,
because they were meant to fall 
on these ears,
on this day,
and be taken 
this way. 
How you gonna touch me,
if you can’t even reach me? 
And lets get rid of all those weird rules
no one likes, 
such as: 
You are into me except after her.
And 
he always comes before me
especially after alcohol. 
You take my  words,
and slam them shut,
put them on a shelf. 
I’ve made you see
too deeply inside yourself.
If these phrases
that I put together 
just for you 
fall on deaf ears,
then I won’t say
another 
word. 
(c) Trinny Sigler 2020

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! It will be in my new poetry book, "Sawdust: Debris from Deep Cuts." A book of mourning.

      Delete